New Orleans Memories: A Tribute in Words & Pictures

Before my memories of New Orleans are displaced by a flood of disaster images and articles on lawlessness and global warming, I want to share them. So we can remember the city that means so much to so many people. As I search for my favorite people and places, I find them alive and well online. New Orleans just may become the first Internet city, exiled in cyberspace. I will do my part in this electronic rebuilding by adding my shrine and lighting a few candles. New Orleans will live on.

9/02/2005

Hurricane Katrina

So the Big One finally hit the Big Easy.

Hurricane Katrina gave truth to the urban legend that always shrouded New Orleans in a sense of doom that somehow suited the slow, humid, swampy city I still call home.

I left New Orleans almost ten years ago to begin a process of higher education and careerism that can’t be had in the Big Easy where people sit around and watch the paint peel between sips of daiquiri.

But no amount of education can take away my memories of a place where the people really knew how to let "le bon temps roule" (Cajun for let “the good times roll” and the official motto for New Orleans). Only Katrina could do that, or at least try.

As I watch the news and choke back tears, I’m scanning all my photographs and remembering, trying so hard to remember, to write, what the city was to me and hoping beyond hope that one day it will be again.

But, whatever happens, the spirit of New Orleans will live on in the hearts and minds of people everywhere.

1 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Blogger William Slawski said...

Nice blog.

I hope that you post some more pictures of the New Orleans that you knew, and more stories of the City. I regret that I never visited New Orleans, especially after seeing some of your photos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home