New Orleans Memories: A Tribute in Words & Pictures

Before my memories of New Orleans are displaced by a flood of disaster images and articles on lawlessness and global warming, I want to share them. So we can remember the city that means so much to so many people. As I search for my favorite people and places, I find them alive and well online. New Orleans just may become the first Internet city, exiled in cyberspace. I will do my part in this electronic rebuilding by adding my shrine and lighting a few candles. New Orleans will live on.

9/04/2005

Lagniappe

My first encounter with the Cajun word lagniappe was in the Times-Picayune Lagniappe (aka Arts & Entertainment) Section. Lagniappe means “a little something extra;” something free or unexpected; a pleasant surprise; a kind gesture. For me the word lagniappe, which doesn’t exist in the English language, marvelously sums up the spirit of New Orleans.

You never knew what was going to happen. You never ruled out any possibilities. In New Orleans, life itself was lagniappe: the fulfillment of the unexpected. Chuckling just for the hell of it. Doing something nice for somebody. Reaching out. Going the extra mile.

Here’s a little story to illustrate: One year I happened to fly back home from college on the day my friends were scheming a birthday surprise for our friend, NaaKoshie. In New Orleans, “birthday surprise” means something a little bit different that champagne and sponge cake.

My friends were building a throne, so we could carry NaaKoshie on our shoulders and parade her through the French Quarter. We wove together a crown from palm frongs and flowers. She wore a sundress and black pumps. We threw rose petals in her path, beat tamborines, and shouted “Viva NaaKoshie” and “Long Live the Queen.” People on the street cheered and joined our procession. At one point, we lowered the throne to the street and a man came up, took off NaaKoshie’s shoes, and started messaging her feet.

Now that’s lagniappe times ten.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home