New Orleans Memories: A Tribute in Words & Pictures

Before my memories of New Orleans are displaced by a flood of disaster images and articles on lawlessness and global warming, I want to share them. So we can remember the city that means so much to so many people. As I search for my favorite people and places, I find them alive and well online. New Orleans just may become the first Internet city, exiled in cyberspace. I will do my part in this electronic rebuilding by adding my shrine and lighting a few candles. New Orleans will live on.

9/06/2005

Unity

I’ve been hearing so much talk about institutional racism this past week on the news—so much anger towards the federal government’s criminal lack of response in dealing with the poor black residents who were left behind.

But what I choose to remember is the unity. True, New Orleans still had largely segregated schools and neighborhoods; economic inequality was readily apparent. But on the depoliticized level of everyday life, food, music and culture were constantly bringing people together.


For me, Jazz Fest was where everyone came together across race, age, and class lines, and forgot all about their differences. I can’t tell you how many times I found myself shaking it down side-by-side with someone’s grandma. No one was too old or too young, too black or too white to participate. Whole families came out to the fairgrounds with toddlers in tow, and intermingled with musicians, vendors, and tourists—always tourists.


So as people are talking about rebuilding the city, worrying that the developers will try to gentrify the poor black neighborhoods out of the equation, I say: There is no New Orleans without diversity. New Orleans was built and sustained by poor minority populations.

Even bottom-line developers have to recognize the importance of recreating and maintaining the cultural and ethnic diversity if New Orleans is to regain its status as a tourist mecca. Who would want to visit a city full of rich white Southern eltes?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home