New Orleans Memories: A Tribute in Words & Pictures

Before my memories of New Orleans are displaced by a flood of disaster images and articles on lawlessness and global warming, I want to share them. So we can remember the city that means so much to so many people. As I search for my favorite people and places, I find them alive and well online. New Orleans just may become the first Internet city, exiled in cyberspace. I will do my part in this electronic rebuilding by adding my shrine and lighting a few candles. New Orleans will live on.

9/21/2006

Time to Go Home

One year later, New Orleans is in the news and on my mind…

Tomorrow I go back to New Orleans for my 10 year high school reunion and I’m bursting with enthusiasm. I usually hate this kind of thing, but somehow I’m ready to go back. For the past year, I’ve preferred to hang on to my memories—the city in my mind—then witness first-hand what New Orleans has become. But denial can only last so long before reality comes calling. And this is my excuse to go back. To wander the streets that shaped my personality, to knock on doors and not know if anyone will answer. How many of these memories are now lost at sea? I can only guess if my favorite tree still stands… if my old haunts are still open for business… if the street musicians still busk on every corner… but something tells me its time to go home.

1 Comments:

At 5:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I live on the north shore now but I am a native New Orleanian and lived in the city for 30 years. I was in the city two weeks ago, and for the first time since the storm I felt that the people were beginning to start the healing process. I think getting the first horrible year out of the way helped a lot. Surely this year MUST get better! I don't want to encourage you too much because a lot has to do with what your baseline is. We who stayed see progress, while those that have come for the first time are blown away by the devastation. All I can say is that there is a lot still to be done but there is more hope in the air. Go Saints!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home